Most of us humans are supposed to spend about 1/3 of our lives sleeping. However, studies show that one out of four people you know spend 1/3 of their time TRYING to get a good nights sleep. Unfortunately for those people, if not corrected, it can lead to a lack of focus due to fatigue, leading to less productivity and therefore less income, lower quality of life and lower immunity; this can lead to chronic diseases including high blood pressure, cancer and a host of other problems. What I will share with you below is a unique perspective on the importance of sleep and how to buy a mattress so that your quality of sleep is optimal.
How Important Is Sleep
When you think of the most important things for your health and longevity. Most people would rattle off the regular list, which includes:
- Regular Check Ups at you Family doctor
When you think about it from a very practical and logical stand point, when it comes to health you can measure the importance of any aspect, based on how long you can go without it before putting your health in serious jeopardy. The average human can go:
- Without Air to Breath for 2 minutes
- Without Sleep for 3 – 4 days
- Without Water to Drink for 7-14 days
- Without Food to Eat for 30 days
- Without Exercise for a Long Time
That puts sleep right below air! Who would have though sleep is more important than water? This is why it is so important for you to know How to Buy a Mattress.
Who Should You Listen To? How to Buy a Mattress
Lets be logical here. How well you sleep will have a huge affect on how well you are. When it comes to wellness, we should seek out specialized experts in the field. So who are the experts? Let me first tell you who you should NOT listen to because they are not the experts we seek.
- Do not listen to your local bed salesperson. They are usually motivated to sell you what puts the most commission in their pockets. After all, thats how they provide for their families. What would you do in their shoes?
- Do not listen to the fancy commercial, because an advertisement is exactly that. They want to sell you their product.
- Do not listen to your friend or family members who like the bed that they bought. Although they are good intentioned, they don’t live in your body. Ultimately your body and your partners body are the ones that will sleep on the mattress. Therefore it must be right for you.
Now for the good part. You should listen to a Health Care Practitioner who has expertise in relation to how your anatomy will be affected, based on your current conditions and the associated mattress you choose. These experts understand the bone structure of your body, most importantly your spine and how it is affected by your sleeping surface. These experts are doctors called Chiropractors. I had the opportunity to speak with a number of Chiropractors on the topic. There is a clear consensus among them which is that your current physical condition heavily determines:
- What type of surface you should sleep on (firm, soft, water, memory foam etc)
- What position you should sleep in (back, side, elevated etc)
- How you should use your pillow if any
It’s a good idea to listen to a competent Chiropractor, so that based on your current condition you can know where and How to Buy a Mattress . You will know exactly what to look for and how it should feel. If your lucky the doctor may tell you exactly which mattress to buy, saving you the agony and confusion that the mattress stores love to cultivate.
The Challenge Nobody Talks About When Buying A Mattress
When it’s time to Buy a Mattress, its important to choose the best mattress for you based on your current conditions. Some examples include:
- If you have lower back pain, you may want a firmer mattress to support your lower back.
- If you are pregnant, you may want to consider a Memory Foam Mattress because it conforms to your new curves.
- If you are bedridden, you may want to buy a waterbed, as the subtle movements increase circulation and prevent bed sores.
- If you have a lot of action in your bed, you want to consider spring or pocket coil as it gives the most control.
- If you have a lot of muscle soreness, you may want to buy a waterbed as it can relax your sore muscles because the movement of the water promotes circulation.
The real challenge is our current conditions are constantly changing. Think about it;
- You are only pregnant for a few months out of the year.
- Your lower back pain may not be permanent, hopefully it’s just a months set back.
- If you are very sore, it may be because you just started back at the gym. You wont be sore in a few weeks or months from now. How to Buy a Mattress
So what we really need to figure out is, How to Buy a Mattress that will satisfy our ever changing lives? That’s where we get into Customizable Sleep Systems, which is where you want to be.
Now remember, if you care about your Health-Span as well as Lifespan, you need to put your quality of sleep on an importance level above the water we drink and below the air we breathe. Even if you disagree with the order, you have to recognize that it ranks high up there. To buy a great mattress, you don’t have to break the bank, but don’t cheap out on your health! Buy a good quality Sleep System or mattress that will provide you with high quality sleep for years to come.
Customizable Sleep System Types
There are three types of customizable sleep systems in the market. They are:
Adjustable Beds: they allow you to move different segments of the bed up and down. These adjustable beds come in varying qualities. The highest quality adjustable beds generally have a more diverse range of motion and will always be able to move at least three separate sections of the bed with a hand held remote. The best of them will also allow for vertical motion like a hospital bed, making it easy for injured individuals or people with a limited range of motion in their hips to get on and off the bed.
The disadvantage of these types of beds is in the event you have 2 people sleeping on it. One partner can be disrupted by the other one adjusting the entire bed. It is recommended in this case to get two twins rather than one king size bed so that each partner can enjoy their own side; however if you want to cuddle you may be annoyed by the big crack in between the 2 beds. These generally range from $5,000 up to $12,000 for the higher quality models. These beds are expensive because of the motors that mobilize the beds.
Air Beds: they allow the user to increase and decrease the firmness of the mattress by inflating the air pressure in the mattress. The advantage to these is that each person can have a different firmness on either side of the bed in the higher end models.
If you go for one of these, I suggest avoiding the air chambers that are made out of rubber, as you don’t want your bedroom to always smell like rubber. These generally range from $2,000 up to $8,000 for the higher quality models. The difference in price is related to the quality of the air core and other add on features. A cheap air core may not last and you can’t depend on most warranties.
The Component Bed is a new innovative bed in a category of its own. It’s the first and only bed with 3 interchangeable sleep surfaces, 2 adjustable sides, in 1 sleep system that can be customized any night. Since the Component Bed allows the sleeper to completely customize their sleeping surfaces any night of the week, one partner can be on memory foam while the other is on water. On top of that because there is an air core on each side, each person can increase or decrease the firmness to their comfort level. Then if your current situation changes; lets say you hurt your lower back, you would be able to switch the memory foam component to the pocket coil component in one to two minutes.
One big advantage to this Sleep System is that in the future there is no need to buy a new Sleep System. Instead you can just replace the components. Another advantage is that this Sleep System is open source which means 100s of manufactures may potentially be making components for the Component Bed. The benefit for the consumer is that when the newest innovations hit the sleep market, the consumer has choices to upgrade to new components only spending a nominal amount. By far the Component Bed has the most diversity. The Component Bed ranges from $3,000 to $4,000. The price is low considering you are getting 3 mattresses in one. They have priced it low because they know that once you have the Component Bed, you will definitely buy new components in the future and they will keep you as a loyal customer.
Which Sleep System Should You Choose
As you know, everyone is different, and therefore you have to determine what is right for you. A Chiropractor can point you in the right direction as to what type of surface may best suit your current needs. But don’t forget, you need to have the diversity to be comfortable as your life changes. A great tool is a downloadable Quality Sleep Guide that has great information on how to get the best sleep. It also has a simple chart that allows you to compare all of the features and benefits of the best Customizable Sleep Systems. It will save you a lot of time rather than trying to figure it out by searching on google especially when you don’t know all the industry terminology. You can download the Quality Sleep Guide now by clicking here. It also describes in detail 7 Steps you can take in order to get the best nights sleep.
What About A Normal Mattress
Over the last few years, there has been a huge spike in sales for higher quality Sleep Systems while the regular mattresses have been tanking. This should be a clear indication that consumers are aware that quality sleep is important and therefore a quality Sleep System is required.
How to Buy A Mattress – Conclusion
Let me sum it up in a simple point form format.
- Understand your current circumstances and take into consideration where you will be in the future. If you have a sleep partner, they should do the same.
- Choose a Customizable Sleep System that best fits your needs. Utilize the Quality Sleep Guide to save yourself time and money. How to Buy a Mattress
- When in doubt, consult with a Chiropractor.
Now you know How to Buy a Mattress. Your new mattress will have you sleeping like a baby. More importantly, your quality of life can be enhanced, your immunity can be boosted and you can have a much higher resilience against countless chronic diseases as a result of getting a great nights sleep, every night.